BOSTON, MA – Hundreds of Americans 50+ have geared up to donate their time as AARP hosts a multitude of volunteer opportunities at its biannual Life@50+ National Event & Expo in Boston, from May 8-10. Attendees will discover real possibilities by contributing to community service activities including the packing of 50,000 meals for Drive to End Hunger and local community service events. On the event’s final day, in conjunction with the National Association of Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive, anyone who brings a bag of non-perishable food will be given a one-day pass to Life@50+, which includes all activities besides the evening concert.
Life@50+ kicks off on Thursday, May 8th with a Day of Service. For the first time, attendees at AARP’s Life@50+ can volunteer on any of the national event’s three days to pack meals for the Drive to End Hunger event sponsored by the AARP® Credit Card from Chase or at other events taking place to benefit the Boston area. The three-day Drive to End Hunger meal packing event will have ten, one-hour shifts where hundreds of volunteers will pack 50,000 meals for hungry New Englanders served by the Greater Boston Food Bank. This is just one part of the AARP Credit Card from Chase’s pledge to donate more than 100,000 meals in 2014 to benefit older Americans. Chase will also give up to $1 million to Drive to End Hunger this year by donating $0.25 to the Foundation for every restaurant purchase made with the AARP Credit Card from Chase.
“The Boston Community Day of Service offers members and others an opportunity to discover real possibilities in their lives and in the Boston area through volunteer efforts in the local community,” said Lisa Marsh Ryerson, AARP Foundation president. “Giving back to the people of Boston enriches the lives of both those in need and those who volunteer, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve.”
Thursday, May 8, 2014
- 8:00 am: AARP kicks off Life@50+ with a Community Day of Service rally at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center before some head out to the Boston area to volunteer. AARP’s Men’s Life Ambassador and NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Dan Marino, AARP Community Ambassador and award-winning broadcaster James "JB" Brown, AARP Love and Relationship Ambassador Dr. Pepper Schwartz, and more than 500 Life@50+ attendees will give their time and effort to various community organizations in the Greater Boston area.
- 2:00pm to 5:00pm: Meal packing begins as Life@50+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall floor at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center assemble meals to be delivered to the Greater Boston Food Bank.
- 4:30pm: AARP Ambassador Dan Marino will hold a football clinic at the Jordan Boys & Girls Club with 50 children.
Friday, May 9, 2014
- 12:00pm to 4:00 pm: Meal packing continues for the second straight day as Life@50+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall floor at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center assemble 50,000 meals to be delivered to the Greater Boston Food Bank.
- 1:15pm: Kick off presentation will begin, participants include: Anthony Carrino and John Colaneri,HGTV’s Kitchen Cousins; Lisa Marsh Ryerson, President AARP Foundation; Michael Rittler, General Manager, Chase Card Services; Suzanne Battit, Vice President of the Greater Boston Food Bank; and Michael Festa, State Director of AARP Massachusetts.
Saturday, May 10, 2014
- 9:30 to 1:00pm: Meal packing continues for the third straight day as Life@50+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall floor at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center assemble meals to be delivered to the Greater Boston Food Bank.
Other AARP volunteer projects in addition to the meal-packing event and the Exhibit Hall on Thursday’s Community Day of Service will benefit:
Registration Admission to Life@50+ for AARP members is $25, $35 for non-members (includes a one-year AARP membership). The entry fee includes access to the Exhibit Floor and workshops/sessions for all three days. Online registration, additional information on Life@50+, as well as the complete schedule can all be found at www.aarp.org/events. Registration is also open by phone at 1-800-650-6839. On Twitter #lifeat50 is the @AARP and @AARPMedia hashtag for the member event
# # #
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more atwww.aarp.org.