- Apr 5, 2018‘The Perfect Scam’ Pulls Back the Curtain on America’s Most Shocking Scam Stories; Hosted by Frank Abagnale and Will Johnson
WASHINGTON, DC — AARP announced today the launch of “The Perfect Scam”, a weekly podcast profiling America’s most shocking consumer scam stories.
- Mar 28, 2018New Poll Finds 1 in 4 Americans Often Not Prepared to Face Aggressive Scammers
WASHINGTON, DC—As tax time approaches, AARP’s Fraud Watch Network is redoubling its efforts to help taxpayers avoid criminal imposters who aim to defraud them. The problem is serious, with the Federal Trade Commission reporting that tax fraud ranked second in 2017 in types of identity theft reported, as over 82,000 reports were made last year. But a new poll from AARP, which surveyed 1,005 Americans by phone, reveals that people may have a false sense of security, as three-fifths (62 percent) report they’re either extremely confident or very confident in their ability to detect fraud.
- Jan 30, 2018AARP Fraud Survey Reveals the Financial and Emotional Toll Among Asian Americans and Pacific IslandersAAPI Fraud Victims Age 50 and Older Lost More Than $15,000 on Average, Reported Emotional and Health-Related Issues
WASHINGTON, DC—Nearly four in ten (39 percent) Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) age 50 and older report that they or their family members have experienced fraud schemes, according to the recent fraud survey from AARP. Additionally, one-third (33 percent) of victims lost $15,000 on average. Non-financial costs are even more widespread, with most fraud victims (72 percent) experiencing some sort of emotional, physical or mental health impact, including anger, stress and anxiety, difficulty sleeping and shame.
Nov 8, 2017New Research Finds Military Veterans Victimized by Scams Twice as Often as Nonveterans
The AARP Fraud Watch Network and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service today jointly announced the launch of Operation Protect Veterans — a national campaign to warn those who have served in the...
- Sep 22, 2017Fraud Watch Network Ambassador Frank Abagnale Provides Tips on How to Avoid Identity Theft and Fraud
WASHINGTON, DC—With scams and fraud schemes proliferating on social media, the AARP Fraud Watch Network has launched a campaign to educate Americans about social media hazards and provide information about how they can protect themselves.
Apr 13, 2017Document-Shredding Events and Education Sessions Will Help Consumers Avoid Fraud
The AARP Fraud Watch Network brings fraud-fighting efforts to consumers nationwide in "Operation: Stop Scams" -- a month-long series of events in communities coast-to-coast, as AARP state...
- Apr 12, 2017Document-Shredding Events and Education Sessions Will Help Consumers Avoid Fraud
WASHINGTON, D.C. (April 12, 2017) – The AARP Fraud Watch Network brings fraud-fighting efforts to consumers nationwide in “Operation: Stop Scams” -- a month-long series of events in...
Feb 16, 2017AARP Fraud Watch Network Launches Campaign to Help Investors Learn Who Should be Most Alert
With Americans losing tens of billions of dollars annually to investment fraud schemes, what mindsets and behaviors are common among those who fall victim? A new survey by the AARP Fraud Watch...
- Jan 12, 2017Resources Offered in Bank Branches and Online will Teach Customers How to Recognize Identity-Theft Schemes
A unique educational collaboration was announced today between the AARP Fraud Watch Network and People's United Bank, N.A., with the goal of better protecting consumers in the northeast against...
- Nov 14, 2016Microsoft Survey Finds Two-Thirds of Consumers Have Encountered the Scam
WASHINGTON, D.C. — With U.S. consumers falling victim to the “technical support scam” in greater numbers than ever before, the AARP Fraud Watch Network today launched an initiative to raise...