- Mar 28, 2021Appearances by George Clooney, Sophia Loren, Anthony Hopkins, Andra Day, Catherine O’Hara, Mark Ruffalo, Jodie Foster, Demián Bichir, Aaron Sorkin, Hoda Kotb, Milo Ventimiglia, Lee Daniels and more
On Sunday, March 28, AARP The Magazine’s Movies for Grownups Awards® premiered on Great Performances on PBS, pbs.org/moviesforgrownups and the PBS Video app where it now streams. This is the fourth consecutive year the awards have been broadcast on PBS in a co-production with Great Performances and AARP Studios.
- Mar 4, 20212020’s Best Movies and TV for Grownups Honorees Will Be Celebrated on March 28 on PBS
WASHINGTON—AARP The Magazine has unveiled the winners for the annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, which features honorees from The United States vs. Billie Holiday, The Life Ahead, The Father,...
- Jan 27, 2021
WASHINGTON—AARP The Magazine announced today that George Clooney will receive its annual Movies for Grownups® Career Achievement Award. Clooney – a recipient of two Academy Awards®, a...
- Nov 26, 2019The Best Movies for Grownups to be Honored at the Annual Awards in Los Angeles on Saturday, January 11
AARP The Magazine today announced the nominees for the upcoming 19th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, with A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Bombshell, Little Women, Marriage Story, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Farewell, The Irishman, and The Two Popes contending for Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups category. For nearly two decades, AARP’s MFG program has championed movies for grownups, by grownups, by advocating for the 50-plus audience, fighting industry ageism, and encouraging films that resonate with older viewers. Annette Bening will receive the esteemed Movies for Grownups® Career Achievement Award.
- Nov 5, 2019Annette Bening to Receive Career Achievement Honor at AARP The Magazine’s 19th Annual Movies for Grownups® AwardsMovies for Grownups Awards Will Be Broadcast and Available to Stream on Great Performances Sunday, January 19, 2020, on PBS
LOS ANGELES—AARP The Magazine announced today that Annette Bening will receive the 2019 Movies for Grownups Career Achievement Award. Bening – a recipient of two Golden Globes®, a Screen Actors Guild Award® and four-time Academy Award®-nominee – will be honored at the 19th annual Movies for Grownups® (MFG) Awards ceremony on January 11, 2020, in Beverly Hills.
- Feb 5, 2019
Appearances by Shirley MacLaine, Viggo Mortensen, Glenn Close, Spike Lee, Mahershala Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kathy Bates, Barry Jenkins, Rami Malek, Topher Grace, Edward James Olmos, Marina de...
Jan 3, 2019The Best Movies for Grownups to be Honored at the Annual Awards in Los Angeles on Monday, February 4, Hosted by Comedian Martin Short
LOS ANGELES—AARP The Magazine today announced the nominees for the upcoming 18th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, with A Star Is Born, BlacKkKlansman, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Green Book...
Dec 18, 2018Screen Legend Shirley MacLaine to Receive Career Achievement Honor at AARP The Magazine’s 18th Annual Movies for Grownups® AwardsMFG Awards will be broadcast on Great Performances, premiering on PBS in February
LOS ANGELES—Shirley MacLaine will receive AARP The Magazine’s 2018 Movies for Grownups Career Achievement Award, the publication announced today. MacLaine will be honored at the 18th annual...
Oct 18, 2018Expanding Its Role in Entertainment, AARP Announces First Original Movie “Care to Laugh” to Premiere this FallAARP Signals Accelerated Effort to Develop, Produce, Finance Additional Original Content in 2019
WASHINGTON, DC—Expanding its work and presence in entertainment, AARP announces the launch of its first full-length film “Care to Laugh” through AARP Studios. The documentary film features Jesus Trejo, a rising star in the comedy world who is pursuing his dream of becoming a successful comedian while caring for his aging parents. “Care to Laugh” will make its world premiere as the closing night film of the Heartland International Film Festival in Indianapolis on Oct. 21.
Oct 1, 2018AARP Announces First Ever Collaboration on Major Motion Picture “What They Had” Starring Hilary Swank, Blythe DannerAARP Movies for Grownups® Screenings, Cover Story in AARP The Magazine Raise Awareness Around Film Addressing Caregiving, Dementia Issues
WASHINGTON, DC—AARP today announced a collaboration with Bleecker Street on the release of “What They Had,” the upcoming film starring Academy Award and Golden Globe-winning actress Hilary Swank, EMMY and Tony Award winning actress Blythe Danner, with Michael Shannon, Robert Forster and Taissa Farmiga.
Jul 19, 2018AARP’s TV for Grownups to spotlight the shows and stars that resonate with the 50+ audience, the largest TV-watching demographic
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Following in the footsteps of its influential Movies for Grownups® Awards, AARP today announced the debut of its TV for Grownups Honors® on July 24, 2018, at the Sunset Tower Hotel. The program will celebrate the career achievement of iconic television pioneer Norman Lear. Academy Award, Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actress Rita Moreno will present the award to Lear. The event will be hosted by actress Wendie Malick, with notable guests including Dick Van Dyke, Frances Fisher, Marla Gibbs, Bob Saget, Adrienne Barbeau, Chuck Lorre and more.
Apr 24, 2018Study Highlights Opportunities to Attract Boomers to Theatres
WASHINGTON, DC—Baby Boomers remain a significant part of the movie-going audience with over 70 percent of this population going to the movie theatre and experiencing its amenities. However, there are significant gaps in this audience’s awareness of new theatre offerings/attractions and premium experiences. A new study released today by AARP, “What Boomers Want: Insights into Cinema Experience Preferences and Behaviors,” examines the specific preferences of movie-goers in an effort to reveal what Boomers want from their movie- going experience as well as reasons why they may not choose to go to theatres more frequently.
- Feb 6, 2018AARP The Magazine Celebrates the Winners of the 17th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards in Los AngelesAppearances by Helen Mirren, Gary Oldman, Annette Bening, Saoirse Ronan, Blythe Danner, Mark Hamill, Guillermo del Toro, Aaron Sorkin, Willem Dafoe, Jason Clarke, Alfre Woodard, Ben Mendelsohn, Alan Cumming, Betty Gabriel, Richard Jenkins, Rian Johnson, Laurie Metcalf, Marcus Henderson, Michael Gracey and more
LOS ANGELES, CA — AARP The Magazine’s 17th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards were held tonight at the Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills, celebrating 2017’s standout films with unique appeal to movie lovers with a grownup state of mind and recognizing the inspiring artists who make them. Co-produced by the Great Performances series, the awards will be broadcast for the first time on Friday, February 23 at 9 p.m. on PBS, (check local listings), pbs.org/gperf and PBS apps.
- Jan 30, 2018Alfre Woodard, Jason Clarke, Mark Hamill, Saoirse Ronan, Ben Mendelsohn, Shari Belafonte, Willem Dafoe, Kelly Marie Tran, Doug Jones, Michael Gracey, Molly Bloom and others join award-winning actor and host Alan Cumming at a Star-Studded Evening on Monday, Feb. 5 in Los Angeles
WASHINGTON, DC—AARP announced today the official presenters for the 17th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards. Alfre Woodard, Jason Clarke, Mark Hamill, Saoirse Ronan, Ben Mendelsohn, Shari Belafonte, Willem Dafoe, Kelly Marie Tran, Doug Jones, Michael Gracey, Molly Bloom and others will join host Alan Cumming at the star-studded event that will be celebrated on Monday, February 5th at the Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills. The awards celebrate 2017’s standout films with unique appeal to movie lovers with a grownup state of mind and recognize the inspiring artists who make them.
- Jan 17, 2018The Best Movies for Grownups to be Honored at the Annual Awards in Los Angeles on Monday, February 5, Hosted by Actor Alan Cumming
WASHINGTON, DC—AARP The Magazine is pleased to announce the nominees for the upcoming 17th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, with Get Out, Lady Bird, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri contending in the Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups category. The awards celebrate 2017’s standout films with unique appeal to movie lovers with a grownup state of mind and recognize the inspiring artists who make them. Award-winning film and stage actor Alan Cumming will host the star-studded evening at the Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills on Monday, February 5.
- Dec 6, 2017Helen Mirren to Receive Career Achievement Honor at AARP The Magazine’s 17th Annual Movies For Grownups® AwardsMFG Awards will be Televised for the First-Time Ever on PBS Series Great Performances
WASHINGTON, DC—AARP The Magazine announced today that Helen Mirren will receive the 2017 Movies for Grownups Career Achievement Award. The AARP Movies for Grownups® multimedia franchise was established in 2002 to celebrate and encourage filmmaking with unique appeal to movie lovers with a grownup state of mind—and recognize the inspiring artists who make them.
Aug 2, 2017TV for Grownups® Celebrates Television Geared for 50-plus Audience; Announces Plans to Launch First Annual TV for Grownups® Awards in 2018
WASHINGTON, DC—AARP launched today its new entertainment initiative TV for Grownups®. Following in the footsteps of its influential Movies for Grownups®, TV for Grownups® aims to connect 50-plus viewers with smart, relevant, entertaining shows and the actors who star in them, plus help demystify the technology associated with home entertainment. AARP also announced it will hold the first annual TV for Grownups® Awards in 2018.
- Mar 29, 2017AARP and Movio Release New Findings on the Impact of Older Moviegoers on Movie Theater Box Office Revenue
AARP announced today findings on a study examining the impact moviegoers ages 50 and older have on the movie business. According to the findings, more than 30-percent of all visits by moviegoers...
- Jan 31, 2017Helen Mirren, Alfre Woodard, Treat Williams, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Lucas Jade Zumann, Sharon Stone, George Takei, Jovan Adepo, Tom Everett Scott and more join host Margo Martindale at a Star-Studded Evening on Monday, Feb. 6 in Los Angeles
Academy Award-winner Helen Mirren, award-winning actresses Alfre Woodard and Sharon Stone, actors Treat Williams, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Lucas Jade Zumann, George Takei, Jovan Adepo and more...
- Dec 14, 2016The Best Movies for Grownups to be Honored at Annual Awards in Los Angeles On Monday, February 6, 2017, Hosted by Actress Margo Martindale
The editors of AARP The Magazine today announced the nominees for the 16th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, with La La Land, Lion, Loving, Manchester By the Sea, Silence and Sully contending...
- Dec 9, 2016The List of Films That Appeal to a Grownup Audience Spotlights Family Ties, Grownup Love and Longtime Friendship
Sully, Jackie, Fences, Silence and Loving are among this year's Top 10 Movies for Grownups, according to the editors and movie critics of AARP The Magazine, whose Movies For Grownups® initiative...
Nov 17, 201616TH Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards to Celebrate Freeman and Other Award Winners on February 6, 2017 in Los Angeles
- Oct 11, 2016Initial Lineup to Include Loving, A Monster Calls and Nocturnal Animals
Apr 14, 2016AARP Movies for Grownups Reports on State of Movie Business among 50-Plus Audiences at 2016 CinemaConAARP Entertainment Director Meg Grant Highlights Growth Trends for The 50-Plus Audience Panel at CinemaCon
LAS VEGAS, NV (April 13, 2016) — AARP discussed growth trends among 50-plus theatregoers in a panel presentation at CinemaCon. The panel, “Movies for Grownups: Films For An Older, Loyal, And...