- Dec 19, 2019New Online Tool Lets Older Entrepreneurs and Freelancers Withhold and Submit Quarterly Taxes Automatically
WASHINGTON—For entrepreneurs and freelancers who struggle with quarterly taxes, help is here. AARP Foundation has launched AARP Foundation Self-Saver, an online resource and iOS app that enables the self-employed to anticipate and manage large expenses such as taxes.
Dec 18, 2019
WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond issued the following statement in response to today’s Texas v. United States ruling on the...
Dec 18, 2019
WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement in response to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services...
Dec 18, 2019
WASHINGTON— AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement on yesterday’s passage of FY 2020 appropriations bills H.R....
Dec 18, 2019Findings Show Women 50-plus Are Concerned about Health Care, Drug Prices and Economy
WASHINGTON—Today AARP released the findings of a nationwide poll that explores the priorities and concerns of a key group of voters that could help determine the 2020 presidential election and...
- Dec 17, 201944% of 50+ Adults Now Gamers Compared with 38% in 2016
New research from AARP finds a 14% increase in the number of adults age 50-plus who play online or video games on a monthly basis. Over the past three years, the 50-plus gamer population has grown from 40.2 million in 2016 to 50.6 million gamers in 2019.
Dec 12, 2019
WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement on today’s vote by the U.S. House of Representatives on H.R....
- Dec 12, 2019AARP Campaign Raising Awareness of Most Common Seasonal Scams
WASHINGTON—Consumer fraud schemes escalate each year during the holidays, and a new research report, “Seasons Cheatings,” from the AARP Fraud Watch Network finds that a significant number of consumers are at risk of becoming victimized by common seasonal scams.
Dec 11, 2019
WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement urging the U.S. House of Representatives to vote in support of...
Dec 10, 2019
WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement in response to the patent protections for biologic drugs and...
- Dec 5, 2019Over 4 million Americans at risk of surprise tax increase if medical expense deduction not extended.
WASHINGTON—AARP Senior Vice President for Government Affairs Bill Sweeney released the following statement calling on Congress to extend and make permanent the medical expense deduction before...
- Dec 3, 2019Bill Would Improve Weaknesses in Caller ID Cited in Recent AARP Survey
WASHINGTON—AARP today announced its endorsement of the Pallone-Thune TRACED Act (S. 151), legislation that would help reduce illegal and unwanted robocalls and significantly reduce the risk from consumer fraud schemes.
- Dec 3, 2019AARP and Public Private Strategies Share New Small Business Guide to Support Family Caregiver Employees
WASHINGTON—For National Family Caregivers Month, AARP and Public Private Strategies developed a free Small Business Caregiving Online Resource Guide to help small business owners create family...
- Dec 2, 2019AARP Shares Secrets to a Longer, Healthier Life and Tackles the Loneliness Epidemic, Revealing Medical Causes and Remedies for the Growing Condition
LOS ANGELES—Loneliness is reaching epidemic proportions in America, particularly among those over 50, but there is hope for the issue coming from surprising places: scientific laboratories. This month’s issue of ATM includes a look at the new science of loneliness: who is most likely to succumb to it, the effects it has on physical health and surprising new approaches to tackle the problem that go far beyond simply more social interaction.
- Dec 2, 2019AARP Bulletin Profiles 5 Cities That Are Innovating New Ways to Retain and Serve Americans of All Ages
WASHINGTON—Are you searching for a better lifestyle? Read up on these five American cities, each of which is taking bold steps to become more livable for residents of all ages. In this month’s Bulletin, AARP profiles communities that are showing courage, foresight and commitment to becoming more viable and affordable for its older residents – and investing in changes that serve its younger citizens as well.
- Nov 26, 2019The Best Movies for Grownups to be Honored at the Annual Awards in Los Angeles on Saturday, January 11
AARP The Magazine today announced the nominees for the upcoming 19th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, with A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Bombshell, Little Women, Marriage Story, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Farewell, The Irishman, and The Two Popes contending for Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups category. For nearly two decades, AARP’s MFG program has championed movies for grownups, by grownups, by advocating for the 50-plus audience, fighting industry ageism, and encouraging films that resonate with older viewers. Annette Bening will receive the esteemed Movies for Grownups® Career Achievement Award.
- Nov 25, 2019Multi-Award-Winning Actress Annette Bening Discusses Personal and Professional Freedom in the December/January Issue of AARP The MagazineThe Unstoppable Film Star Will Receive the Career Achievement Award at AARP’s Star-Studded 19th Annual Movies for Grownups Awards on January 11 in Beverly Hills
Two-time Golden Globe®-winner, Screen Actors Guild Award®-winner and four-time Academy Award®-nominee, Annette Bening opens up on the importance of family, professional freedom and navigating aging in Hollywood in an exclusive interview for the December/January issue of AARP The Magazine (ATM). On January 11, Bening will receive the 2019 Movies for Grownups Career Achievement Award at AARP The Magazine’s 19th Annual Movies for Grownups® Awards, airing on Sunday, January 19 at 9 p.m. on PBS (check local listings) and streaming the following day on pbs.org/gperf and PBS apps.
- Nov 20, 2019National Kidney Foundation and the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality receive grants for proposals to improve health care of older adults.
WASHINGTON—AARP is pleased to announce that the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) and the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality are the winners of the 2019 AARP Quality...
- Nov 14, 2019New AARP Report Looks at Key Issues and Emerging Trends in Family Caregiving
WASHINGTON — Approximately 41 million unpaid family caregivers provided an estimated 34 billion hours of care — worth a staggering $470 billion — to their parents, spouses, partners, and...
- Nov 13, 2019
WASHINGTON—Retail prices for 267 brand-name drugs commonly used by older adults surged by an average of 5.8% in 2018, more than twice the general inflation rate of 2.4%, according to new AARP...
- Nov 11, 2019
AARP Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond released the following statement today in response to the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ announcement on the increase in Medicare premiums and deductibles for 2020.
- Nov 11, 2019At National Gala Tonight AARP Will Honor Five Winners of the 2019-2020 AARP Purpose Prize; Each Winner Will Receive $60K AwardAARP Purpose Prize Honors Community-Focused Work by People Age 50-Plus
WASHINGTON—At a national gala held tonight in Washington D.C., AARP will honor the five winners of the 2019-2020 AARP Purpose Prize award each of whom has been selected for the outstanding community-service-focused work of organizations they lead. All five winners, all of whom are over the age of 50, will be awarded $60,000 by AARP to help further the mission of their organization.
- Nov 11, 2019Research Finds Unexpected Money Emergencies & Imprudent Responses Are Common
Reacting to new research that shows one-half of adults have experienced an unexpected financial challenge in the past year, AARP today launched AARP MoneyMap™, a free online tool that helps consumers deal with unanticipated financial emergencies.
- Nov 5, 2019Studies Suggest Inflammation May Be the Common Trigger Point for Many Deadly Diseases
WASHINGTON— The health risks of chronic inflammation have been talked about by doctors and researchers for decades, but only in the past few years have studies made clear the importance of the issue. Their findings indicate that the very mechanisms in your body that fight disease may also be triggering many of the most serious, and even deadly, diseases of aging. The good news is that lifestyle changes and dietary tweaks can help reduce inflammation in your body. To help understand chronic low-grade inflammation and how to fight it, AARP spoke with top experts in the medical field to create a guide in this month’s AARP Bulletin special report.
- Nov 5, 2019Annette Bening to Receive Career Achievement Honor at AARP The Magazine’s 19th Annual Movies for Grownups® AwardsMovies for Grownups Awards Will Be Broadcast and Available to Stream on Great Performances Sunday, January 19, 2020, on PBS
LOS ANGELES—AARP The Magazine announced today that Annette Bening will receive the 2019 Movies for Grownups Career Achievement Award. Bening – a recipient of two Golden Globes®, a Screen Actors Guild Award® and four-time Academy Award®-nominee – will be honored at the 19th annual Movies for Grownups® (MFG) Awards ceremony on January 11, 2020, in Beverly Hills.